Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Yayasan Telekom Malaysia




Not many knew about this.
Except for really close friends,
As I think it is a taboo to talk about something before it happens,
Because the thing might not happen if you talk about it too much.
Yes, I am that superstitious.

So guys, I will only tell you that I am getting married after I am married.
LOL.

Anyway, back to the story.

So I was away the whole of last week.
From 14th of April till 18th of April.
Which explains why I was missing and not updating my blog.

I got sent off to Marang, Terengganu to attend a scholarship camp under Yayasan Telekom Malaysia.
It was like an interview but more detailed as the facilitators will have the chance to get to know the candidates for scholarship even better.

Earlier on the 14th of April,
I had to attend Majlis Kecemerlangan Pelajar SPM dan STPM in school.
It was fun.
I got to meet many old friends whom I doubt I'll ever meet till many many years ahead.
But then again, I was too busy catching up with people and *coughs*looking pretty*coughs* I kind of forgot to snap pictures. Sorry!

So anyway, Dad and I took a flight to Marang and reached the college at around 5.30 pm.



My 'roommate' hasn't arrived yet when I reached the place,
So I took the key and went into the room.
Trying to be as optimistic as I can.

So what if the corridor does look like some horror movie?
So what if they have disgusting and scary looking corridor?
And the door IS ugly, but they say don't judge the room by the door.

And I opened the room, trying to keep my cool.
I saw this.






I told myself, "See? It isn't that bad."
Yeah right. Not that bad till I saw the sink.


I swear something is in that cabinet!
Seriously. I heard banging sound from inside the cabinet,
And I was not being paranoid.
I was just too afraid to see what's inside.

All Dad said to comfort me was, " Welcome to the hostel life."

I couldn't stay in the room for another minute,
So I told Dad I was starving and I want to go eat outside.
Halfway out of the college,
I received a call from someone who called himself 'Amirah's father'.

When he first introduced himself,
I swear I really thought it was my colleague's father that wanted to know where I was staying because I (sort of) forced his beloved daughter to work 12 hours for 5 days while I am away, and thus resulting him having the urge to burn down my house.

But then again, I am the crazy woman.
It was my roommate's father.
Turned out, each room only has one key and she needed the key to get into our room.

I knew we could instantly click when I saw her from far.
Her name is Amirah.
Eventhough I did not get the chance to talk to her much as I needed to leave a.s.a.p after passing the room key to her,
I have to say I am pretty relieved to meet her.

Basically this camp is to see how long you can last before you crack.
It was all about mental and emotional strength.
Yes, I did broke down the second last day of the camp,
And almost broke down the second night I was there,
And I cried a little bit when Mom called the same night.

What?!
I am a very emotional person.
I'd rather not dwell too much on what's the camp is about and whatever shits they offer.
I'll edit this post if EVER the mood strikes for me to talk about it ok?

Anyway, I'm just posting up pictures of friends I made over there.
They are overly awesome and fun to be with.
And note that my group is by far the most normal among all the groups there.

Anyway, we only start the whole thing on Tuesday because by then only everyone reached.
We were all divided into groups and I was in Group H.

Everyone was pretty much distant then,
So during dinner Amirah and I got extremely friendly and went around introducing ourselves to everyone.

Why I love having Amirah around?
Because her freak flag beats Iona by one and a half.
Yes, she's really crazy.
She's double my madness and loudness.
So one could imagine how noisy our room was.

I personally like how Amirah introduced herself to new people.

Amirah : Hai! Saya Amirah. Tapi awak boleh panggil saya cun, cantik, comel ataupun cute. Saya
ok je. Ataupun kalau susah sangat nak ingat, panggil saja Siti Nurhaliza.

Freaking selamba right?
Anyway, in the previous picture, that was Amirah with Felicia.
Who's from Sarawak.

A real friendly girl.



Throughout my session at Terengganu,

I have come to realise about how awkward I felt whenever I tried mingling with the Malays.

Bukan lah nak cakap kita perasan bagus sangat,

But that was what I felt all the while there.



I told that to my colleague at work,

And she told me it's probably because I hanged out too much with other races,

That I kinda forgot how to mingle with my own race.

Macam kes kesian je kan?





Back to the story.



These are the views from our room window.

Pretty decent.

Much much prettier compared to the look of inside the room.

You see, I instantly clicked with Amirah because she's pretty much the same as I am.



We were both practically late for EVERYTHING,

Because I am NEVER punctual,

And she on the other hand,

Was just taking her own sweet time.



And we strngly believes in creative flow or free flow,

Therefore, by the third day we were there,

The room pretty much looked like it was struck by a hurricane.

But too bad I am born smart,

Therefore I did not take any picture of the room in that condition.

Oh, the sceneries pictures.

Almost slipped my mind.






Moving on,


Despite the crazy urge tp go home ever since I stepped my foot into the hostel room,


I have to say,


I can't help but to feel rather sad about leaving the camp.



I don't know how and when,


But the camp managed to give me the sad feeling when everything was coming to an end.


I guess the camp sort of opened my eyes to the world and people out there.


My group alone almost consisted of peoples from all over Malaysia with different family backgrounds.



It sort of shaken me a bit,


On how I like to whine on my problems in life,


Which after listening to my team members', Aren't that big of a deal anymore.


So it is safe to quote my very own facilitator's whom I did not take the picture because the boys were too lazy waiting for us to have lunch,


"Whether you get the scholarship or not is not the issue here. Because what you learn here is far more valuable than the scholarship."


And I totally whole-heartedly agreed with him.



I really don't want to go into details on what happened there and what I did over there,


But I am merely here for the sake of blogging about my group members.



1 - Amirah


-my roommate


-kes gila yang kronik.


- serious camwhorer.


-total fun and bubbly person to hang out with


- does not let problems get the best of her. You wouldn't know she has a problem by how she behaves around people.




Told you she's a serious camwhorer.


Pics yang nampak semacam sedikit tu, were taken inside the flight.


By far, that was the best flight I have taken in my whole entire life.


A full 50-minutes flight filled with laughters,


And camera flash.


And evil glares from the passengers and steward and stewardesses.


What? I can't help it. She IS funny!


I tell you la kan, thank god the flight was only 50 minutes.


Imagine if it was 8 hours? I am sure after the flight, we both will be blacklisted from all the AirAsia flights.


Lol.



2- Vicki


-cindian. Father indian, mom chinese


- a very selamba guy. So selamba to the extent it pissed Amirah off.


There's this one time when Amirah was totally hitting on him.


*mind you that Vicki goes to Chinese school, so he speaks Bahasa Malaysia with a Chinese slang



Amirah : Mana tau kita dapat berjumpa sehingga ke jinjang pelamin?


Vicki : Pelamin tu apa?


Amirah : *took nearly half an hour to explain what the hell is a pelamin*


Vicki : *stares at her hard, and cut her sentence halfway through* Tak mau lah....


Amirah was totally flabbergasted about it that Vicki fall flat rejected the idea of them getting married, and still looked like he has done nothing wrong.


I, on the other hand, was laughing my ass off watching them. I guess he just got the selamba vibe lah.




3 - Man a.k.a Luqman


- another selamba guy. You can throw an elephant to him, and still you cannot piss him off.


- pretty religious also lah. Can see by the way he 'tegur-ed' me for laughing too loud at 2 AM in the morning and because he told me that he told the interviewer that he places himself at scale 9 on the scale of religiousness. 1 is for the lowest, and 10 is the highest.



Apa yang kelakar nak mati about this guy is,


You tengok muka dia pun rasa macam tak konfiden dia ni macam baik sangat because another team member of our group was from religious school and she only rated herself as 5. F-I-V-E, five.



4- Syafeqa


- our group's awek chun. She's like every guy's target to hit on lah.


-super ayu, saya pun kalah.



She's the one in the black tudung.


Btw, that's how she poses for every picture she takes.


Nasib baik lah comel!


And btw, the whole group suspected that Man has a crush on her. But then again, who wouldn't?



5- Hafiz


-suka cakap "Kepala hotak kau!" in front of almost every sentence.


- is very much into politics and current issues.


- suka kutuk menantu PM. (LOL)




6 - Shah


- I adore this guy the most! He's from Kedah so his Kedah slang is really thick, thus making every word that comes out of his mouth to be very adorable. Tak tahan betul!


- he gets aggresive everytime he speaks English. He looked like he's going to bash up our facilitator when he was discussing a topic in English. He claimed that that's how it is everytime he speaks English.


- chronic blur case and one heck of a funny dude.


- his dream is to open a kindergarten to help improve his own race, of which to him is socially degrading these days (and I so totally agree with him), but I believe his problem in pursuing his dream is that nak ke orang hantar anak dekat dia? I know I wouldn't, because he's such a funny dude, want to send my children to him pun takut juga.


7 - Najiah

Now this girl definitely rocks. A total Terengganu-ian at heart, she speaks Bahasa Malaysia with thick Terengganu slang.

During the start of the camp, she was rather insecure about how she talks and how she thinks others would perceive her because of her slang, thus resulting her into becominga rather passive person. But once she talked about her insecurities to our group, turned out to be the whole group whole-heartedly agreed that her slang was indeed very cute. And addictive.

Me and my roommate were already speaking like a true Terengganu-ian on our second day there. Because we hanged too much with Najiah.

And she's talented at being funny without being funny. Which is absolutely a totally awesome thing!

8 - Fathi

Actually, honestly speaking, I don't really know this guy because he's kind of quiet. But he's like this sarcastic guy once you get to know him. And I absolutely adored it whenever he got into quarrels with Najiah. Najiah is like his favourite victim to pick a fight with, so we all spreaded rumours that they were both into each others. But he's a nice guy la after all!

9- Shirly

Shirly is from Sarawak. A very quiet girl, but she has the sweetest smile. I didn't get to know her very well because she's very quiet and i am anti-quiet. And I think she's pretty awkward hanging out with the Malays because her Bahasa aint that good. But I did try talking and mingling with her. She's a nice girl and she's very humble. She still keeps in touch with me even after she left the camp. Such a sweet and demure girl.


10 - Eva

Eva is the girl in the purple baju kurung in the picture at the bottom. I can mingle with her very well because turned out to be, we're from the same hometown. We're both from Kluang. What?! Ok fine. My dad's from Kluang so it was easy to make conversation with her. She's by far the shortest in the group, thus making me tall! *evil laughs* She's prettyy bubbly and optimistic about life too. Very opiniated.

11- Shazwan

Well, I don't have this guy's picture because he went missing after everyone assembled in the hall. So I didn't get the chance to take his picture. Another nice guy too lah. But he pandang me like very semacam one.

Like I owe him money or something. So I am a little bit takut of him lah.

12- Aida

This one also hilang after we gathered at 2.30 pm on the last day. She's the girl from the religious school. I sebenarnya takut want to talk to her too much because you know la kan, I macam a bit gila-gila. So takut la nanti kena sound pula sebab cakap kuat-kuat and gelak kuat-kuat.

13 - Shahmini

A real sweet girl. She made an effort to mingle around with other Malays eventhough I could see she's pretty awkward with them. Used to be a head prefect of her school, I absolutely salute her for her bravery and ketabahan dalam menghadapi cabaran hidup. Sorry lah. I cannot tell what sort of cabaran hidup. We swore secrecy already lah.

These are a few of the group pictures that I managed to take with the members that do notgo missing.

And these are a few pictures of our 1000 pieces puzzle, of which has caused us to sleep at 2 am on the 2nd night there and 4 am on the 3rd night there, all thanks to the bloody boy band that has to wear synchronised t-shirt with a background a hue lighter from the t-shirts.

Bloody murderous to the whole team. I couldn't even think straight after staring at the same puzzle for the 20th time at 3 am in the morning.

Now I know why (again) I hate puzzles.

Thank god we managed to finish it. Because I seriously cannot stand placing another piece of puzzle at the wrong place and having to hold myself from destroying the puzzle out of frustration.

This is a picture of Amirah and I crashing into a random group picture because we were bored and trying to be friendly with everyone. The result of having a crazy roommate.

During our stay there too, We managed to create a prototype,

Which was told the best among all.

It may not be the sleekest most fanciest prototype ever,

But ours is the best as the time given was only half an hour.

We did a smart watch, controlled by owner's very own voice, which provides 3G, Smart house system, IPod, Radio, sms-es etc.

I didn't get the chance to go sight-seeing there because we left on Friday evening. I only managed to see Masjid Kristal from far.

That is the current tourist attraction in Terengganu, next to another 20 mosques along that area.

Personally i think it's rather stupid to have 21 mosques in the same area right next to one another because who would be praying in all 21 mosques?

it's like, "I feel like going to the 5th mosque today la."

and, "Today I feel very blue. Maybe I should go pray in the blue mosque."

You get the drift right?

But anyway, back to the story.

Masjid Kristal is currently the main tourist attraction there because it is made of crystals from all around the world. So it's shiny and pretty.

However, the picture I took aint that pretty because I was in the cab that time, trying hard to hold on to my phone while capturing the moment.

I even managed to make last-minute friends at the airport before we departed.

The one in the red shirt is Hisham and the other one is Anuar Shah.

I adore Anuar Shah because he's such a fun guy to talk to. He's like the slightly toned down clone of Ariff.

I remembered how he introduced himself.

Anuar Shah : Hai, saya Anuar Shah. Macam Anuar Zain, tapi boleh juga jadi Irwansyah.

I don't want to talk about Hisham, because nanti berdosa sebab kutuk dia banyak-banyak.

In simple word, he's a very kesian man who's very awkward with girls and the worst person to tell jokes to. Period.

Overall, I did enjoyed the camp and it felt heavy to leave that camp.

But I am still thrilled to get back home to my comfort zone.

All I am saying is, I am never meant to camp EVER in my life. LOL.

Signing Out,

Mentally Troubled.

No comments: