Thursday, July 02, 2009

The Author on 'Mom'

its gonna be soon before my holiday ends. i've already got a few stuffs pending on my to-do-list, especially this weekend since it is the LAST weekend home. or the last official do-nothing-but-to-sleep-at-home weekend i'll be getting for, what my heart says, a LONG time.

and truthfully speaking, i'm missing home already.
i'm missing everyone already.
and i'm missing Mom+Dad+siblings already.

I never really did come across the idea of me being a 'home person',
Because half the time I'm out,
Or wanting to go out of the house.
But these days, even when i'm out, I cant wait to get home.
I guess its the feeling that home offers that makes me yearn to come back to it.

I could count the number of days i'm out with my friends this holiday.
Partially because i'm not that much on a stable financial status,
But i dont mind. I just like lazing around at home.

I like to observe what Mom daily does. She'll wake up as early as 5.40 am, before anyone in the house, or probably stumbles upon Sarah - decided to have her insomniac night or simply falling asleep in front of the tv - and getting everyone ready, all out of the house by 8am. She'll sweep the floor, hang the clothes, and clean the house, all spick and span by 9.30am. She'll probably be eating breakfast, baking or preparing lunch for her children until 10am, then driving out to pick up the smallest one in the family - the warmest, friendliest one, mind you- from his religion school.

And then I could hear noises from downstairs, as everyone starts screaming, and talking, in a manner only a family does, with Mom making the smallest one eats his lunch, the other brother and his quiet yet full of attitude manner and my youngest sister, with one of her antics.
And again at 12.30pm, she's out sending everyone to school. If my sister's in mood to come back early, i could see Mom driving out to pick her as early as 2.30pm, but most of the time its later in the evening.

She'll meet me downstairs at around 2pm, as i hover around the kitchen for food - we never run out of it in the house - and tell me whatever edible at home. Which is a lot of stuffs. She'll have her afternoon nap, right after ironing her family's clothes - working clothes of dad, school uniforms of my siblings - and after picking those dried clothes. She'll be up at around 4.30 pm and off she's cooking for dinner. I always come down at around that hour, because I'm partially bored since 2.30 pm, and usually i'd be thirsty by then. But my small heart tells me that I'm down because I like to see her preparing dinner. I always, always offer to help, but she'll politely decline before resuming to her territory - her kitchen.

She's always that excellent cook + baker. My dad adores her, and her cookings. She, on the other hand, is always impressing. And god, everytime she nails it on the spot.

Dad would come back by 7pm, together with everyone else, and then it's time for dinner. She's always eating dinner with Dad, waiting for him to return from prayers, so that he wont eat alone. I dont usually eat with them, because i think in a way, its their time. because then, you could hear small chatters about dad's day at work, and mom, about, uh, her children. its always about her children.

i've always wanted to sit down and properly talk to mom. we've never really did hit it off well, not since the recent years. i guess, i grew up, and she became more understanding.

i could remember so vividly, every single time i'm home after a whole week being in campus, i'd come and sit down in the kitchen, simply because i wanted to talk to mom about it.
i would then chatter away, for the next half an hour - or more, usually more - and just chatting about campus. i like those times. because i share whatever - almost whatever - on my mind.

i'd like to one day, sit down and properly talk to her, like a friend to another friend, the differences are that this friend is wiser, smarter, more experienced, and most importantly, she's my mom. My one and only mom.

I love you, Mom.

Signing Off,
Kakak

No comments: